Skip to main content

He's back y'all

Hi Everyone,

It has been a ridiculously busy time and I haven't had any chance to blog for a while.  I'm going to try doing it sporadically as I can, and when I have interesting updates!

My BAP process is still ongoing, I'm now meeting with a former examining chaplain regularly to prepare me for it.  Due to events in my personal life which I won't go into, we have decided not to go ahead with the BAP in time for the next academic year but I should be going for it in Autumn.  I'm excited and ready to do it!

My understanding of the CofE and how it works is ever improving in leaps and bounds, mainly due to my new(ish) job as Family Support Worker at All Hallows church in Bispham!  The role allows me to help others explore their faith, whilst also deepening my own.  I've been in it for 6 months now, integrating into the church and starting to make subtle changes and start new things.  It hasn't dulled my wish to become clergy either, whilst I do feel I am fulfilling part of my calling, I still feel God is calling me ever further.

Most of my updates from now forward will be about practical things for worship/church events based from my job. The first set of posts I'm going to make are about a weekend course I attended run by the diocese, summarising what was said (or at least what I remember using my notes!).

As ever if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to tell me below :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board gaming ministry

What is one thing families across the country do on wet and miserable days whilst on holiday?  They break out board games… Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble….yawn…more like bored games!  The world of board gaming is going through something of a golden age at the moment.  There are hundreds of thousands of new, more exciting games out there with a wide variety of mechanics – from fun party games that can be played in 15 minutes, to epic legacy games which can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment to a group of friends.  It’s so popular that there are multiple websites and YouTube channels that are dedicated to them (check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop , a YouTube series which has celebrities playing board games with Wil Wheaton from Star Trek that in 2014 broke records by crowdfunding $1,414,159 to continue making episodes!)  There are also board game cafes opening up around the country, where you pay for a table for 30 mins, an hour or 2 hours and they provide games for you

Scp vocations weekend

This past weekend has been incredibly hectic but incredibly fun as well.   I attended a vocations weekend run by the Society for Catholic Priests in Manchester at St Chrysostoms church. I met some wonderful like minded people and it was lovely to have people in a similar position to myself to talk to and to help me know I'm not mad for considering this life path! The Friday night was a nice introduction with an ice breaking activity to get to know everyone followed by going into the chapel for evening vespers and then some tasty pizza for tea! Later on in the evening after having eaten enough to make me need to roll rather than walk we headed back into the chapel for our first two sessions. The initial session was by Canon Alma Servant who told us about her journey to priesthood. Initially she felt her calling before women were allowed to be ordained and she didn't want to be a deaconess as it wasn't the whole job. Her story showed that if you really do feel the

Vision day part 3

Session 3 was a choice of workshops  exploring fresh expressions in and around  the Wigan area.  There was a choice of prayer cells, messy church and transforming Wigan.  I already have some knowledge of messy church and cells so I chose transforming Wigan. Behold my rubbish Photoshop skills! The initiative has been set up by the CofE as Wigan lies in the centre of the country and at the point where Manchester, Blackburn and Liverpool dioceses all come together.  It is a scheme supported ecumenically in the area, especially by the Methodist circuit. The vision of Rev. Tim is that within 7 years 10% of people living in Wigan will identify as practising Christians.  It is a lofty goal but one that after hearing his plan could work.  The first and most important point he made was that it won't work if we focus solely on churches.  We need to get out into the wider world if we want to have an impact.  Such is his belief in this that the HQ of the initiative is in the local in