Skip to main content

First full service

Outside view of Christ Church 
Today I led my first service in its entirety. Last week Rev. Cindy kindly let me lead the family service from the order of service whilst she took control of the intercessions and the address.  Over the Christmas period I also had a chance at doing prayers of intercession as well as addresses.  
This week I combined all of them and led the service from start to finish minus the reading and notices. The former as usually you do get someone else to read to break the monotony of your voice for the congregation and the latter as I didn't have a list of them. 
I feel like it went really well! I didn't trip over anything and everyone there said I did a great job. I was nervous but it felt like God was present and was helping me maintain my composure and keep on top of things. I'm suffering from a chesty cough at the moment yet throughout the service I didn't need to stop to cough even once!
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested but I'm going to post up the prayers of intercession I used today in a separate blog post, but I thought I'd talk through the process I used to create them.
As you probably know as you're reading this blog I am a fully trained teacher, currently working as a supply teacher. As such  I'm used to planning lessons, a skill which has come in very handy!  When creating a lesson there is no point in reinventing the wheel. Someone out there will have done that lesson before you, so you can have a look and use that for inspiration.  I did this for both the address and the prayers of intercession.
Hope no one felt this way! 
For the address I searched for sunday school resources relevant to today, as I knew it was for a family service where half the congregation would be kids.  I then structured my ideas in an interactive way, including leading questions to get the congregation involved, ensuring it wasn't too kiddy as it needs to be interesting to parents as well.
It's always good to make the address relevant to something they know so you can get the message across easily. Luckily today was about the baptism of Jesus so I talked about the font, the difference between baptism and christening and how Jesus being baptised allows us to enter God's graces through the same means. The hardest part of this address was timings. It's easily a topic you can talk about for ages, but children, especially young children  have short attention spans so I had to keep it short and sweet yet informative.
For the intercessionary prayers for today I looked online for ones from the past to get some inspiration.  I then took the general theme of baptism and made simplified prayers out of it that were relevant to recent world events as well. Again it would have been easy to make a complex list, but bearing in mind the congregation structure I kept it simple!
I'm glad I didn't fall flat on my face! 
Overall it has been great fun preparing the resources. It only took about an hour to do, though I put that down to experience through teaching.  It was also amazing to be able to teach God's word first hand and lead everyone in prayer. I can't wait to do my next one! Hopefully Rev Cindy will let me loose on the adult congregation next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board gaming ministry

What is one thing families across the country do on wet and miserable days whilst on holiday?  They break out board games… Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble….yawn…more like bored games!  The world of board gaming is going through something of a golden age at the moment.  There are hundreds of thousands of new, more exciting games out there with a wide variety of mechanics – from fun party games that can be played in 15 minutes, to epic legacy games which can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment to a group of friends.  It’s so popular that there are multiple websites and YouTube channels that are dedicated to them (check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop , a YouTube series which has celebrities playing board games with Wil Wheaton from Star Trek that in 2014 broke records by crowdfunding $1,414,159 to continue making episodes!)  There are also board game cafes opening up around the country, where you pay for a table for 30 mins, an hour or 2 hours and they provide games for you

Scp vocations weekend

This past weekend has been incredibly hectic but incredibly fun as well.   I attended a vocations weekend run by the Society for Catholic Priests in Manchester at St Chrysostoms church. I met some wonderful like minded people and it was lovely to have people in a similar position to myself to talk to and to help me know I'm not mad for considering this life path! The Friday night was a nice introduction with an ice breaking activity to get to know everyone followed by going into the chapel for evening vespers and then some tasty pizza for tea! Later on in the evening after having eaten enough to make me need to roll rather than walk we headed back into the chapel for our first two sessions. The initial session was by Canon Alma Servant who told us about her journey to priesthood. Initially she felt her calling before women were allowed to be ordained and she didn't want to be a deaconess as it wasn't the whole job. Her story showed that if you really do feel the

Vision day part 3

Session 3 was a choice of workshops  exploring fresh expressions in and around  the Wigan area.  There was a choice of prayer cells, messy church and transforming Wigan.  I already have some knowledge of messy church and cells so I chose transforming Wigan. Behold my rubbish Photoshop skills! The initiative has been set up by the CofE as Wigan lies in the centre of the country and at the point where Manchester, Blackburn and Liverpool dioceses all come together.  It is a scheme supported ecumenically in the area, especially by the Methodist circuit. The vision of Rev. Tim is that within 7 years 10% of people living in Wigan will identify as practising Christians.  It is a lofty goal but one that after hearing his plan could work.  The first and most important point he made was that it won't work if we focus solely on churches.  We need to get out into the wider world if we want to have an impact.  Such is his belief in this that the HQ of the initiative is in the local in