Skip to main content

Godspace

Prayer roots you for the day
The primary role of a priest is to administer the sacraments. That and pray. Prayer should be an ingrained and constant thing within your life. Whilst exploring my vocation one of the things I have found most difficult to do initially was find time for prayer, yet I know at theological college and throughout curacy it will be at the very least a twice daily event. With this in mind I thought I’d discuss some of the methods I have found that help. 
Panoramic picture of my godspace on Morecambe prom, taken this morning
First things first, you need an area for yourself where you can pray, or just be with God in quiet contemplation, a Godspace if you will. This could be a specific chair in your living room, your bed, an area you’ve set up in a spare room or even a place you go on a morning walk. For myself I do the last one. I’m blessed to live right next to Morecambe promenade and there is a small jetty with a bench on it right out into Morecambe bay so I go sit there to think and pray of a morning (see the panoramic view above.)  In the evening  or at night I tend to pray when I am comfortable in bed, just before sleep. 
My tools for worship on my phone
I don't just randomly pray either,  I like to use the pre-assigned text for the day to do my prayers. I am quite a devout technophile so if I can find a way to do something through my phone I shall!  There are a few apps out there that provide this.  The free ones I know of are Daily Prayer by the CofE and iBreviary. The former brings you the text directly from the book of common prayer for morning, evening and compline. The latter is similar, though from a more Catholic standpoint.  Both of these require you to have signal or to have pre-downloaded the texts for the day in order to use them, though they have paid methods to receive the entire library and additional features.  
I tend not to use either of these as I find the BCP to be a tad too verbose and I dislike the layout of iBreviary. 
There's nothing wrong with the old fashioned way either! 
As I like the psalms I use a service called Universalis. It is very much in the Catholic stance so won’t be to everyone’s taste but it has a website where you can view all that day’s prayers for free or for a tenner you can access it on your phone through the app without requiring an Internet connection. It tells you the days readings and services as well as some background into important events from the churches history and people (usually saints) from that day. 
I go to my bench on the prom and I read the days office of readings followed by morning prayer (if it's cold or wet I'll do it indoors or will only do the morning prayer) and find it sets me up well for the day. Then in the evening or at night I read the evening prayer or compline depending on the time to see the day out. I don’t always find the time to do this every day and when I don’t I just ensure I find time to pray in some other way.   For instance whilst stuck in traffic in the way into work I’ll pray for God’s guidance for the day to come, or on the way home will thank him for the day that’s gone by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board gaming ministry

What is one thing families across the country do on wet and miserable days whilst on holiday?  They break out board games… Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble….yawn…more like bored games!  The world of board gaming is going through something of a golden age at the moment.  There are hundreds of thousands of new, more exciting games out there with a wide variety of mechanics – from fun party games that can be played in 15 minutes, to epic legacy games which can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment to a group of friends.  It’s so popular that there are multiple websites and YouTube channels that are dedicated to them (check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop , a YouTube series which has celebrities playing board games with Wil Wheaton from Star Trek that in 2014 broke records by crowdfunding $1,414,159 to continue making episodes!)  There are also board game cafes opening up around the country, where you pay for a table for 30 mins, an hour or 2 hours and they provide games for you

Vision day part 3

Session 3 was a choice of workshops  exploring fresh expressions in and around  the Wigan area.  There was a choice of prayer cells, messy church and transforming Wigan.  I already have some knowledge of messy church and cells so I chose transforming Wigan. Behold my rubbish Photoshop skills! The initiative has been set up by the CofE as Wigan lies in the centre of the country and at the point where Manchester, Blackburn and Liverpool dioceses all come together.  It is a scheme supported ecumenically in the area, especially by the Methodist circuit. The vision of Rev. Tim is that within 7 years 10% of people living in Wigan will identify as practising Christians.  It is a lofty goal but one that after hearing his plan could work.  The first and most important point he made was that it won't work if we focus solely on churches.  We need to get out into the wider world if we want to have an impact.  Such is his belief in this that the HQ of the initiative is in the local in

Why All Age Worship? Session 2

Session 2: Fischy Music tl;dr version:   Music should appeal to all ages, which means it can’t have too many complex words, but it should have integrity. Give people control over their worship songs – modify them to reflect the congregation – the more they own it the more engaged they are. Teach new songs always at the start of services Movement isn’t just for kids it’s another form of worship. This session was predominantly singing and dancing, whilst discussing the importance of song and movement.  Much of Fischy Music is childlike praise with a couple of silly songs to help people relax, which is unsuprising as one of their main markets are schools. Singing creates a sense of safety, belonging, fun and happiness to be there. The reason so many people dislike it is that at approximately age 10 they are told they can’t sing – usually by teachers or people they respect and it has a big knock on effect. It is similar for movement whilst singing as well – for so