Skip to main content

Exploring Vocation - ADDO Meeting 2

I've had my 2nd meeting with the ADDO and it went well. We discussed the time line I have created as well as my ideas about the vocations criteria.

The main 2 aspects the ADDO wanted to explore in depth were my being priestly and my stickability.

First we went over the being priestly part.   I'm doing a lot at the moment towards becoming a priest, reading lots of books, attending various churches, becoming heavily involved in my parish church, but doing is not the same as being so she wanted examples of how I'm changing due to my vocation.
We talked about how I now tend to pray a lot more, if a hearse drives past I say a prayer for the departed, if I see something horrific on the news I pray for the victims and the perpetrators.
I also relate things to God's presence more often. I've quit a job I hated to follow my call more clearly and I am much happier for it. I feel it's accepting my calling that has made me happier, especially because the stress I'm under at the moment being unemployed and not knowing where my next paycheck will come from is still very high, yet I feel happier and more content than ever before. I know now that God has a plan and will provide, though it'll be on his time scale not my own!
Finally for this point I talk about God and my religion a lot more. Enough to make my wife tell me to shut up.   I've never felt so involved in anything that hasn't been gaming related, or felt such happiness when thinking and talking about it.   Those who know me, know how much my gaming means to me so should realise quite how big a thing this is!

As for stickability, the ADDO had concerns on how much I stick to things due to leaving my profession, the number of jobs I've had over my life so far and the fact I've only recently returned to being a regular attended at church.
I pointed out that for the profession I stuck to it for 5 years, which is a large chunk of my life so far, I kept at it well beyond the point I should have left, even when it was making me mentally and physically ill to continue and only left after praying about it and talking about it at length for a long period of time.
As for the number of jobs I've had, there has only been one 'adult'  job. The others were short summer jobs whilst at university which naturally came to an end when I moved back to my residence to do my course.
Finally my dedication to the church of England.   I admit for a number of years I was heavily influenced by cynicism and especially messages from films such as dogma (a brilliant film btw) but that was only a short amount of time in my life so far. I was a dedicated Anglican all the way up till I was 16 and a half, very heavily involved in the Church of my own free will. I have returned to the Anglican church as a regular church goer this year. So combined I have dedicated 2/3s of my life to my religion.
Between these I think I have shown stickability, and if I continue working hard it will be even more readily apparent than it is now.

We also discussed doubt.  Now I am very optimistic, I like to look on the bright side because otherwise I can dwell too much on the dark.   As such I couldn't initially come up with any doubts, but when she said she meant worries about aspects of the role I would worry about fulfilling properly I understood what she meant better.
I do have worries. I worry that doing this could put a strain on my marriage, that my work life balance could end up totally out of whack, I have no experience of financial planning for businesses or of arranging maintenance for large buildings and also as I'm young I worry that older parishioners wouldn't listen to me.  But these do not make me doubt my calling, just tells me I need to look into methods of controlling these aspects and research them.  
Also the big question was what happens if I don't get selected. Well in that case, as devastating as it would be, it just means I've misinterpreted my calling and it could mean I'm meant to be a reader or a deacon or an education officer or similar.

Overall it was a very good chat and I've not covered everything here, just the main points. (I don't want to bore you!) We arranged to meet again later this month and my homework is to go over criteria B (ministry within the CofE) and C (spirituality).   She also suggested I follow up on the Bishop's suggestion that I find a young, married priest to be my spiritual director and I have a placement at a local church that is similar, but not quite the same as my own.   Both of these I'm going to arrange and I shall let you all know how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board gaming ministry

What is one thing families across the country do on wet and miserable days whilst on holiday?  They break out board games… Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble….yawn…more like bored games!  The world of board gaming is going through something of a golden age at the moment.  There are hundreds of thousands of new, more exciting games out there with a wide variety of mechanics – from fun party games that can be played in 15 minutes, to epic legacy games which can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment to a group of friends.  It’s so popular that there are multiple websites and YouTube channels that are dedicated to them (check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop , a YouTube series which has celebrities playing board games with Wil Wheaton from Star Trek that in 2014 broke records by crowdfunding $1,414,159 to continue making episodes!)  There are also board game cafes opening up around the country, where you pay for a table for 30 mins, an hour or 2 hours and they provide games for you

Scp vocations weekend

This past weekend has been incredibly hectic but incredibly fun as well.   I attended a vocations weekend run by the Society for Catholic Priests in Manchester at St Chrysostoms church. I met some wonderful like minded people and it was lovely to have people in a similar position to myself to talk to and to help me know I'm not mad for considering this life path! The Friday night was a nice introduction with an ice breaking activity to get to know everyone followed by going into the chapel for evening vespers and then some tasty pizza for tea! Later on in the evening after having eaten enough to make me need to roll rather than walk we headed back into the chapel for our first two sessions. The initial session was by Canon Alma Servant who told us about her journey to priesthood. Initially she felt her calling before women were allowed to be ordained and she didn't want to be a deaconess as it wasn't the whole job. Her story showed that if you really do feel the

Vision day part 3

Session 3 was a choice of workshops  exploring fresh expressions in and around  the Wigan area.  There was a choice of prayer cells, messy church and transforming Wigan.  I already have some knowledge of messy church and cells so I chose transforming Wigan. Behold my rubbish Photoshop skills! The initiative has been set up by the CofE as Wigan lies in the centre of the country and at the point where Manchester, Blackburn and Liverpool dioceses all come together.  It is a scheme supported ecumenically in the area, especially by the Methodist circuit. The vision of Rev. Tim is that within 7 years 10% of people living in Wigan will identify as practising Christians.  It is a lofty goal but one that after hearing his plan could work.  The first and most important point he made was that it won't work if we focus solely on churches.  We need to get out into the wider world if we want to have an impact.  Such is his belief in this that the HQ of the initiative is in the local in