Skip to main content

Visiting different churches - Anglo-Catholic

Or weekday service ofc
In order to explore my vocation and my religion more thoroughly I've been visiting churches that aren't in the same style as my own to get a feel for different types of worship.  I'm going to make a series of posts about what I find, but first I thought I'd give a feel for the style of church I've grown up with. 

As I've stated before, I tend towards Anglo-Catholicism, also known as high church. 'What on earth is that?' I hear you cry!   Well the easy way of understanding it is we're the ones who like the bells and smells. If you walk into a church and can smell incense, the service is referred to. As mass,  you see 6 candles and a crucifix on the high altar and there's a serving party wearing vestments (robes) then you have come to an Anglo-Catholic church.  
A typical view on a Sunday (though you are more likely to see green than red, red is only for specific masses)
The main thing about churches down the Anglo-Catholic tradition is the focus on the eucharist.  When we bless the bread and the wine then Jesus is truly present within church.  This is the mystery of faith.  Due to this belief the eucharistic prayer is the most reverent part of our service.
The body and blood of Christ

The church service as a whole is very traditional with hymns, prayers, even some Latin thrown in from time to time!
For me it isn't confusing or disconcerting as I have grown up in the tradition, however I can see how the rituals and wording could be offputting to those new to the faith and/or younger people who have not grown up with it.
If you attend an Anglo-Catholic mass you'll usually use one of these. 

With this in mind, I want to see what other churches offer, particularly those that are more evangelical as they seem to be more successful in growing as communities.  What I'd ultimately like to do is take aspects that work and apply them together - maintaining the reverence of the eucharist but making it more accessible to the young as well as the old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board gaming ministry

What is one thing families across the country do on wet and miserable days whilst on holiday?  They break out board games… Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble….yawn…more like bored games!  The world of board gaming is going through something of a golden age at the moment.  There are hundreds of thousands of new, more exciting games out there with a wide variety of mechanics – from fun party games that can be played in 15 minutes, to epic legacy games which can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment to a group of friends.  It’s so popular that there are multiple websites and YouTube channels that are dedicated to them (check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop , a YouTube series which has celebrities playing board games with Wil Wheaton from Star Trek that in 2014 broke records by crowdfunding $1,414,159 to continue making episodes!)  There are also board game cafes opening up around the country, where you pay for a table for 30 mins, an hour or 2 hours and they provide games for you

Scp vocations weekend

This past weekend has been incredibly hectic but incredibly fun as well.   I attended a vocations weekend run by the Society for Catholic Priests in Manchester at St Chrysostoms church. I met some wonderful like minded people and it was lovely to have people in a similar position to myself to talk to and to help me know I'm not mad for considering this life path! The Friday night was a nice introduction with an ice breaking activity to get to know everyone followed by going into the chapel for evening vespers and then some tasty pizza for tea! Later on in the evening after having eaten enough to make me need to roll rather than walk we headed back into the chapel for our first two sessions. The initial session was by Canon Alma Servant who told us about her journey to priesthood. Initially she felt her calling before women were allowed to be ordained and she didn't want to be a deaconess as it wasn't the whole job. Her story showed that if you really do feel the

Vision day part 3

Session 3 was a choice of workshops  exploring fresh expressions in and around  the Wigan area.  There was a choice of prayer cells, messy church and transforming Wigan.  I already have some knowledge of messy church and cells so I chose transforming Wigan. Behold my rubbish Photoshop skills! The initiative has been set up by the CofE as Wigan lies in the centre of the country and at the point where Manchester, Blackburn and Liverpool dioceses all come together.  It is a scheme supported ecumenically in the area, especially by the Methodist circuit. The vision of Rev. Tim is that within 7 years 10% of people living in Wigan will identify as practising Christians.  It is a lofty goal but one that after hearing his plan could work.  The first and most important point he made was that it won't work if we focus solely on churches.  We need to get out into the wider world if we want to have an impact.  Such is his belief in this that the HQ of the initiative is in the local in